Together We Can is a group of recovering people who put on social events targeting LGBT members of the recovering community.
One of the events is Ann Arbor’s Got Talent, a talent show for members of the recovering community.
Their website provides their mission and history.
- The goal of Together We Can is to provide educational opportunities on substance abuse issues to the gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and allied communities.
- According to Legend – and some “old timers” – after the annual Oxley retreat, some members thought that it would be helpful to have “something to get us through the winter”.
- The beginning of this conference was a simple one-day event in March 1982.
The name “Mid-Winter Warm-up” was given to a day long session of workshops, buffet supper and dance at a member’s home.
- The phrase “Together We Can” appeared after the first few years and became the permanent conference title in 1987.
- We became a 501C (3) Non-Profit Corporation in 1990.
- This has since evolved from a church basement to high profile hotels with a full weekend of varied workshops, speakers, entertainment, hospitality suites, banquet etc. – which has only been possible with the long hours of dedication of many people.